Monday, January 9, 2012

Yoga-fy Yo'self in 2012-you won't regret it

I've always taken an interest in yoga since it exploded here-or since I was aware it exploded in the US anyway... While fascinated by it, I still was never comfortable throwing on full yoga gear, putting my mat in front of the class, and om-ing with the best of them.  It definitely takes a getting used to, letting yourself go a bit, and deciding what you want it to do for you!  While I've dabbled in classes and DVD's over the past 10 years, it wasn't until this new year that I decided to pour myself back into the practice (as much as my lifestyle allows, that is), and so far, it's feeling PHENOMENAL.  I've heard it all. "It's boring". "Meditation freaks me out". "You don't even build a sweat". Well folks, get off your opinionated high horses and give this a chance before you bag it for good.  I'm sure --- wasn't always fab, but you (most likely?!) continue to do that. Insert whatever word you feel fit:)  There are so many different types of yoga, that it is truly a gift for everyone.  I'm a novice, so many of the terms escape me at the moment, but just to give it a broad overview:  Power Yoga-sweat/move/get fit!!! Basic Yoga-tone/get fit!! Restorative Yoga-relax the mind/find some zen in your day/still get fit!  Now, if you want some non-becca technical terms, check out this types of yoga link for a basic guide with fancy words.  Bottom line is:  read the DVD cover, read the class descriptions, do your research.  The more prepared you are, the more comfortable you'll be in class.  I've enjoyed all 3 of my (very) broad Americanized descriptions for different reasons.  You need to respond to what your body needs. For me, yoga helped me feel great again after giving birth-while my son smiled away at me on my yoga mat.  Now, a year later, it's still giving me that home time I crave (although I've also found fabulous pay-what-you can no commitment classes at a local yoga center), safe for my neck issues (nasty cervical bulging discs to be exact), stretch me to no end, tone me, and whichever type I choose-always, always leaves me in a better state of mind once I'm finished.  I prefer doing an intermediate type class or DVD with some of my own cardio thrown in after.  For the spiritual side-I've had had a copy of Paramahansa Yogananda's autobiography, a renowned Yogi whose quotes I've loved for years, on my bookshelf for far too long-another goal of mine is to read it-and I just happened to find it free online for those of you interested! Autobiography of a Yogi  Thanks and more to come as I grow in my practice-Stay Chic, Stay Healthy;)

***UPDATE:  4/22/12  Happy Earth Day!  I recently went to a hot and hold detox class-what a challenge!  There are many types of hot yoga classes (this was my first), but in this specific one you're battling a workout in a heated room and holding each pose for 1 minute, rather than the usual slow or faster flow I'm used to-but the benefits are amazing!  You are detoxing your body of unwanted toxins by sweating them out and holding twisting poses (replenish with fresh water) and you feel such a relief and relaxation when all is said and done.  I was lucky to find a Sunday pay-what-you-can class... what better way to end the weekend than by cleaning out whatever you indulged in and prepping for a great night's sleep to start the week off right??  Most poses were familiar ones, but the instructor definitely encourages to do them at your own level (as every instructor should) and where you're comfortable yet challenged-which was helpful with my neck issues-I know my limits!  Stay sweaty, chic, and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment