Sunday, January 22, 2012

Six Little Gems I've Recently Found (and am loving...)

Totally flying my freak flag here, folks, but I get super excited when I find new means to health-whatever they may be!  Over the last month or 2, I've stumbled upon a few new products-most found in health or natural stores (or always online)-and I just had to share:)  Hope you can find one or more useful for you or your family!



  1. Ok, Winos, it's always nice to discover a new wine-but an organic red that is reasonably priced AND tastes amazing??  Rare find, to say the least.  Pacific Redwood's Organic Red sells for around $10 a bottle, contains no detectable sulfites, and is certified organic-meaning it uses organically grown grapes without pesticides (no toxins-woohoo!).  Since alcohol in itself can be toxic enough, it's best to stick with red in moderation, which has some amazing health benefits if used responsibly:)  Check out the top 3 reasons to drink organic wine!  As for the taste?  Wowie!!  Dry, smooth, and enjoyable with or without a meal to accompany it.
  2. More of a coffee junkie??  Since the dangers of artificial sweeteners have been proven time and time again, especially aspartame, and sugar isn't the best for us, I was so excited to find some organic Stevia, made by Wholesome Sweeteners.  One little packet is equal to 2 tsp of sugar, and it has been recommended by top nutritionists and doctors as a great sweetening substitute with health benefits.  While I'd seen Stevia blends in stores before, this one is pure, which I appreciate and trust.
  3. Well, if you have that cup of coffee on the go, you HAVE to follow it up with some gum, right??  No one wants to chew on sugar, but most sugarless gums have those scary chemicals mentioned above.  I recently found Spry gum, sweetened with 100% natural xylitol (non-GMO and gluten free!).  It comes in different mint flavors, and I have to say it's so yummy-and will help with dental health while freshening your breath;)
  4. Another beverage on this list is Synergy's Cherry Chia.  Some of you will think I'm totally nuts-o on this one, but I was in a total detox-yoga mood and had eaten light all day.  When I saw this bev sitting in the health store cooler, I had to try it!!  I'd recently heard a friend raving about the power of chia seeds so my curiosity was extra-piqued.  The drink looks scary, I'm not gonna lie, it has SEEDS FLOATING IN IT lol, but I was pleasantly surprised at the sweet non-scary taste or texture, and the fact that it only had 8g of carbs/serving.  It's raw and organic, provides probiotics, and more than 8 times the amount of omega-3's than salmon provides!  It has more antioxidants than blueberries, and more fiber than oatmeal-that right there is amazing.  Definitely worth a weekly detox for this.  It's known for its raw energy, and is sometimes referred to as "runner's food"!  Click here for even more chia seed benefits!
  5. My last 2 finds were food finds, well kinda.  The first is Stonyfield Organic Oikos Plain Greek Yogurt.  Greek yogurt is trending right now, and I keep hearing about how great it is for us, but finding an organic version is a very exciting thing (organic dairy is especially important to us girlies due to the mass hormones, antibiotics, etc pumped into the conventional milk supply).  While there are a variety of flavors packed with sugar and carbs, much as regular yogurts are, the Plain version is not.  Ew, plain yogurt??  Granted, it's an acquired taste, but you're not stuck eating it by itself if you don't want to!  Throw in some fresh fruit, use it in a smoothie, or sub in  your favorite baking recipe.
  6. Finally, I found a family-friendly nutrient boost that is sooooo delish!  Amazing Grass makes SuperFood packets-one for kids (ages 2 and up), one for adults, and comes in many flavors.  I have a chocolate flavor packet here, and it's made with organic wheat grass, supports a strong immune system, has 31 fruits and vegetables you CAN'T get from a multi-vitamin, and each little packet provides the power of 3 servings of fruits and veggies for you or your little one!!!  Not to mention it's yummy-you can mix it with milk, water, or better yet-your already nutritious smoothie:)  The chocolate flavor comes from organic cocoa, and has only 4g of carbs.  You can buy it in a bulk container, or try it first in packets as I did.


Hopefully one or more of my little gems has caught your attention-nothing listed was more than $10 (unless you buy the bulk size drink mix).  I found them all at a couple of local health stores, but again, use the links to find online.  If you do venture to a health store, I highly recommend getting a discount membership most offer-you'll get your money back in one trip.  Happy shopping-Stay Chic, Stay Healthy;)


No comments:

Post a Comment