Monday, February 20, 2012

Meditation Challenge

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM.............

Scare anyone off yet?  Good-don't go anywhere!!  Meditation is viewed upon as many things in our culture and country.  Some religious folks view it as evil, traditionalists view it as crunchy, skeptics view it as a big ol' scam, and some doctors view it as nonsense.  What's important to remember about this topic, much like every other health topic out there, is everything is what you make of it-whether it be diet, exercise, stress-reducers, supplementation, lifestyle, religion, knowledge, etc etc etc!  To make something work for you and make it YOUR OWN is invaluable, and once it's your own, no one can dispute it or take it away from you-quite empowering when you give yourself something.

In my Yoga and Detox posts, I went on to glorify yoga due to the fitness, stress-relieving, and cleansing properties it has.  After a good yoga workout, whether at home or in a class, that relaxation part in the end is just heavenly for me.  A quiet piece of the day, even if it's 3 minutes, to clear your mind and let every body part relax-when do we do that??  Sleeping, yes, but it's not the same.  While sleeping is very important for the repair of our bodies, meditation repairs our minds-which converts all of that negative energy from negative emotions we store up into peaceful positive energy, which also helps to repair your body physically.  It's a lot to swallow, but think about it:  many health remedies include REDUCING YOUR STRESS LEVELS.  There's a reason for this, and meditation is a wonderful way to heal.  My Healing post touches on preventing illness by reducing stress, which can be done in a plethora of ways-from sleep to exercise to diet to just finding some 'me' time such as a hot bath or quiet book read or glass of wine.  That 'me' time is a form of meditation without realizing it.  You're giving your mind a BREAK from the usual craziness it ensues daily.  True meditation can do this at a whole new level, and enlighten some.  You too can Eat, Pray, Love with the best of them;)

A couple of things prompted my recent attempt at true meditation.  For one, I've been dealing with insomnia lately.  I have ruminating thoughts each night, as well as some body aches, and anxiety that comes with the thoughts!  I've tried going to bed earlier, working out harder, sipping hot tea or warm milk, cutting alcohol/caffeine, and reading-some help a little, but not to the degree needed to deal with an energetic 16-month-old all the following day:)  Naps help me catch up a little, but that broken sleep can't compare to a solid night's sleep.  Secondly is my eternal quest for health-both physically and mentally-to complement my lifestyle and feel good about doing so.  Finally, I received a link to the Chopra Center 21-Day Meditation Challenge-FREE this month, from a friend.  I thought-why not??  If I can in find fact 15-20 quiet minutes in my day (I was skeptical), I'm going for it.  Below is my experience with it-I'll update as I see fit, and as new experiences occur.

Day 1:  As soon as my son went down for his nap, I closed myself in my bedroom (no distracting kitties allowed!), turned on some white noise, and accessed the first day's meditation (right on my phone!), led by Deepak Chopra himself.  The music and his voice put me at ease immediately.  In most yoga classes, when they've included some longer meditation sessions, they allow you to lay or sit in the position you feel most comfortable in.  I chose a contoured neck pillow (I rarely use due to not sleeping on my back) and laid on my back, feet and arms out to sides, palms up-much like a final relaxation pose in yoga.  The meditation was surprisingly simple-no odd chants in a language I didn't understand-just a simple word (soul) on the inhale, and a hum to follow on the exhale.  In fact, the word was instructed to say mentally so you're not even saying anything out loud.  Mentally saying this word does 2 things:  focuses your mind on what you're saying (your soul), and helps to prevent distracting thoughts from entering your mind-due to your own annoying self or external interruptions from your environment.  Chopra gently reminds you that this is a normal occurrence and to simply bring your mind right back to focusing.  I had to do this many times.  I've heard this is normal, and like anything else, the more you practice, the better you get.  By the end of the 16 minute session, I was so relaxed that my neck pain was nearly gone, my mind was clear of worry, and I drifted into a deep sleep that I desperately needed after a rough night.  I woke up extremely relaxed as well-not groggy, but truly relaxed-no knots in my shoulders or worrisome thoughts.  Will this last forever?  No, unfortunately we have to deal with daily hardships of life, but I'm hoping that over time this will possibly help me to deal with daily stressors, and maybe give me a new outlook on them.

Stay tuned for updated versions of this post as I get further into the challenge, and I still have a goal to read the autobiography written by my favorite Yogi, Parmahansa Yogananda, hopefully soon.  I find all of this very spiritual as well as being a healthy choice-but again, that's what feels right to ME.  People with other strict religious beliefs do NOT have to bring spirituality into this whatsoever!  Look at it in the way that makes you feel most comfortable, and good luck!  Sound off on your experiences, and follow the links to discover your options for meditating.  Some can be found in books (pick one up at the library to read more/ease yourself into it), but I personally find it easier to press a button on a podcast and listen rather than worry about reading/flipping pages.  I hope you'll join me in this free challenge that usually costs $75 to join!!  Stay Chic, Stay Healthy and OMMMMMM;)

No comments:

Post a Comment