Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Meditation Challenge Continued



This is a follow-up post to my Meditation Challenge post... please read it if you haven't already, and join me on my continued journey of Chopra's 21-day Meditation Challenge and what I've experienced!

In summary 3/20/12:  Thanks so much for those of you who followed this challenge with me.  After day 9, I struggled with returning to the meditations daily due to some personal turmoil, but suddenly, when the challenge was supposed to be over, I received an email on day 22~my lucky number for many reasons:)  They threw in a bonus meditation with my favorite leader throughout the challenge:  David Ji.  The title was very fitting as well:  "Achieving Perfect Health"... who wouldn't want that in all aspects of life?!  If nothing else, this bonus meditation reminded me of how much the previous ones meant to me, and how important it is to take a time out from life to focus on yourself and connecting with the universe and positive peaceful energy out there-take a break from the stressors and sometimes scary situations life can bring.  The best part is that the meditations are still available right now, and that there are so many resources out there-from yoga to books to chanting your own positive mantra in silence when times get rough.  I'll leave you with this quote, which sums it all up pretty beautifully...

"You are the luminous mystery in which the entire universe with its forms and phenomena arises and subsides.  When this realization dawns there is a complete transformation of your personal self into your universal self... the complete loss of all fear, including death.  You have become a being who radiates love the same way the sun radiates light.  You have finally arrived at the place from which your journey began."~Deepak Chopra


Small pdate 3/3/12:  I probably turned my back on this Challenge during the time when I needed it most this week, but chose rather than pressuring myself to get it "done" and forcing it, to do the remaining meditations at my own pace when it felt right based on the topic at hand.  Some may be out of order from this point forward, but my goal is still to complete them all sooner than later-they truly help the soul.  

Day 9:  Healing the Heart

"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart.  It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul."~Judy Garland

The topic for this meditation spoke volumes to me during a difficult time, and well, the quote was simply beautiful and fitting.  How amazing would it be if we could all heal our hearts?  If we could consciously do daily acts to reverse the trauma, loss, hurting, pain, and negativity we encounter-both of small and great importance.  When I heard David Ji's voice revisit us on this meditation, I was very pleased and at peace.  Something about his soothing baritone puts me at ease.  His mantra for this meditation went as follows:  Attention, Affection, Appreciation, Acceptance.  These, he explained, are the 4 needs of the heart~each one progressively being a deeper need.  This hit home to me.  Who doesn't need one or more of these daily, whether it be from loved ones close to us or from strangers passing quickly in and out of our lives for one reason or another?  He wants us to be AWARE of these needs.  He explains that by being aware of what's lacking, we can knowingly address each need within ourselves, or with someone who may not be meeting these needs, rather than lashing out with reactions such as anxiety and anger which really don't get us any closer to fulfilling our heart's desires and probably leave us in a more negative state than we began with-not to mention a confused counterpart... we can't assume another will understand what we need, we need to speak up.  While this didn't address specifically healing yourself after a difficult time, it did help to put my mind at ease, and realize that these daily needs are linked to the difficult times, and especially important during them.  Listening, taking the time for myself, and of course writing is a step in the right direction.  Namaste.


Day 6:  Creating Wellbeing Through Mantras and Affirmations

"The quieter the mind, the more powerful, the worthier, the deeper, the more telling, and the more perfect the prayer is."~Meister Eckhart

I learned another meditation preference tonight-no one can be in our little house unless it's my baby sleeping in his room!!  My husband was thumping around like the Jolly Green Giant out there and it was very distracting:)  But, I must say, this was another winner for me.  The word mantra literally translates to "mind tool"-pretty cool, right?  Buddha's idea was always, "What we think is what we become".  How true that can be.  The meditation leader explained that through positive thinking we will become positive beings, and live positive lives-through all the adversity we face.  She instructs to plant your feet firmly to be grounded, so I obliged in hopes to get the most out of the meditation.  Even though I was lying down, I still planted my feet on the ground.  She then says a chant in Sanskrit and asks you to repeat:  sat chit ananda (truth, knowledge, and bliss-loved the bliss part).  Eventually she fades away and asks you to whisper this mantra softly on each breath while the heavenly music plays.  It was very relaxing, and if nothing else, a wonderful reminder to think positively to bring light into our lives.  I especially enjoyed the section when she instructs you to visualize a light coming from your heart and being-I hope to do this in my own time, especially when negative thinking creeps in.


Day 5:  Releasing Negative Patterns and Addiction

"Learn to recognize the counterfeit coins that may buy you just a moment of pleasure, But then drag you for days like a broken man behind a farting camel."~Sufi poet, Hafiz (lovely, isn't it??)

I chose to do this meditation in the evening for a change.  Well, honestly, it was the only quiet time I could find-not immediately before bed, but early in the evening.  Unfortunately I was pretty exhausted, but I did realize that I prefer sunlight shining in the room during my meditation... an alternative might be to light a candle or 2 while I try again in the evening-some source of beautiful natural light is a must for me-can't explain why!  Anyway, this was an awesome topic-addiction is near and dear to many of us.  Family members, celebrities we look up to, even ourselves in some way, shape, or form can suffer from addiction-from alcohol to drugs to shopping to eating-the sky's the limit for trying to fulfill our needs in an unhealthy way.  The problem lies in the negative patterns we create in our daily lives that enable us to continue the unhealthy behaviors-over, and over, and over again-even if it's just negative thinking, that's still an addiction.  This meditation reminds us that happiness is already residing within ourselves-it's up to us to access that happiness, through meditation and other positive behaviors, rather than turning to things that will ultimately make us feel even worse about ourselves and our lives.  I enjoyed this powerful message, and especially appreciated the notion that we can STILL enjoy our possessions and activities-but we cannot depend on them for happiness-it just won't work.  While breathing, the leader encourages you to release a negative, non-nourishing behavior on your exhale-just let it go... it felt wonderful, I must say-imagine doing this at the end (or at the beginning!) of every day as a healthy reminder to yourself??  Amazing.  She also shared a chant in Sanskrit, followed with the English translation (which I also appreciated)-I loved the idea that most parts of this were "We together... protect (nourish, journey etc)"-because we are all struggling to make the best out of our time here in this universe, and what a great reminder that we are all the same beings, going through the same things around the world in some way.


Day 4:  Relieving Stress and Anxiety With Present Moment Awareness

"I have realized that the past and future are real illusions... that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is."~Alan Watts

This meditation focused on releasing our fears, scenarios we create in our minds, scary thoughts, etc. and focusing on the present, rather than dwelling on past events and future 'maybes' that cause anxiety within us.  I happen to be taking a 2-hour road trip (both ways) to visit a friend with my son on this day, so I opted to listen to the meditation while driving and my son napped.  I was on an open, fairly empty highway on a clear day, so I thought I may be able to safely zone out while driving.  It worked-to an extent, that is.  I obviously was still in the moment of driving and couldn't let myself go completely, but I was able to clear my mind in the quiet nicely, and I was very happy that I was getting something accomplished while driving:)  I have to admit this wasn't my favorite meditation leader, and of course I was somewhat distracted, so I didn't feel a HUGE sense of peace after, but I did feel relaxed throughout the meditation, and the message was a great one:  being present is key-don't miss out on what's happening RIGHT NOW by dwelling on anxiety-inducing events that have already happened or may never occur... you might miss something amazing:)


Day 3:  Making Peace With Stress

"No one can get inner peace by pouncing on it."~Harry Emerson Fosdick

I did today's meditation at the same time of day as yesterday's while lying in the same relaxed position.  I appreciated hearing a woman's voice for a change-not that the gentlemen thus far weren't extremely knowledgeable and calming, they really were-but I enjoy the different leaders to connect with us in different ways.  This one happened to be a well-spoken and calming woman who happens to be a mother of 2, so there was instantly something in common between us.  And how about the topic??  Isn't that the whole point of this??  More peace, less stress-let's go!  I liked what she had to say-we try so hard to reduce stressors in our lives, and stress over stress to come; but really, we should be focusing on how to DEAL with the stress in a better way-because eliminating stress from our lives is highly unlikely.  She recognizes that people have been under stress since we were cavemen, same bodily reaction for different reasons.  Rather than allowing our blood pressure to rise, sweating to start, and feeling that fight or flight sensation, we should eventually be creative and will our minds to react differently, thus causing a different physical reaction as well.  She suggests through practiced meditation this can be achieved.  While I'm new to meditation, I will say that the more I practice yoga, the more I'm able to stay calm in stressful situations-which makes me hopeful and believe that there is merit to this.  The meditation itself once she was done speaking was set to beautiful calming music with very little instruction of what to do with our minds besides let any negative stress and emotions go easily and float away... I did feel that happen right away, but for the remaining 10 minutes it was difficult for me to lay there without my mind wandering since I wasn't instructed to fill my mind with something else:)  It was a good challenge, though, as I was forced to continue to let go of those emotions over and over and keep refocusing myself.  Let me know how you did today!  Stay Chic, Stay Healthy;)


Day 2:  Health Consciousness 
"Our entire life consists ultimately in accepting ourselves as we are."~Jean Anouilh
I chose to do this second meditation just as I was waking for the day, both to start the day off right, as well as take advantage of my son still being asleep and having a quiet house.  I again chose to close the door, use white noise, and lay on my contour pillow.  Today's leader was a different meditation teacher, but equally as calming.  The topic at hand was our ego-basically recognizing our consciousness and things we "own".  David Ji was leading this meditation, and he insists that rather than fight or shun our ego, as society would like us to do, we should embrace and balance it.  He instructs us to listen to the music and actively think of things we own-whatever they may be-from material possessions to anything else that may pop in our minds.  I was a little skeptical, but was willing to give it a chance.  I think that's the most important key to most things in life that are new to us-if we can't give them a chance, we may be doing ourselves a huge disservice.  I was very surprised at where my mind traveled during this time.  I started with material things-the house, the car, the furniture... which led to my son, Kai's, things such as special toys and his favorite places to sleep... which led to my son... which led to the rest of my family... which led to my friends... which led to memories I OWN-both good and bad-who have made me the person I am... which led to the path my life has taken and how grateful I am for the positive things in my life... which led to reflecting on MYSELF and the attributes I own-both good and bad.  I wasn't just surprised, but pleasantly surprised, and finally understood this exercise, and I didn't want it to end!  Self-awareness and accepting things that are a part of your life and embracing them-and embracing yourself-brings a with it a healthy outlook on your own life in general, and helps you reflect on your own life and take a few minutes away from worrying about everyone else for a change.  Ego isn't so bad after all:)  The rest of my day proved to be a peaceful one, not perfect, but I handled any stressors with more ease than usual, and I have to say-after just 2 days, I'm officially hooked and grateful for finding this.  Stay tuned... and Stay Chic, Stay Healthy;)







2 comments:

  1. Day 2 was a challenge for me. I kept repeating things but when the session was over I started thinking about it and thought about some of my choices and where they have led me. Both good and bad as well

    Day 3 went soooo fast. I too had a hard time just letting my mind be still and when I find my mind wandering I try Deepak's suggestion of "soul" and "hum" very helpful. It's even helped me get back to sleep when I'm up in the middle of the night thinking of the million things I need to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed-i love having something to focus on as well, and you're right it's something you can do daily when feeling anxious or before bed just to chill and focus and being calm... stay tuned for days 4/5! ;)

    ReplyDelete