Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cha-Cha-Cha CHIA!

Chia is a new find for me, as mentioned in my 6 Little Gems post, but it really has opened a whole new world of nutritional options-as well as some important questions about the safety of flaxseed.  Ground flax is something we enjoy putting in smoothies nearly daily, however I've been reading that it can raise estrogen levels in both men and women, which is linked to breast cancer among other things.  I've tried raw chia seeds in Synergy's Chia Kombucha variety, which is a little slimy but yummy, and recently bought a bag of chia seeds (at a great price), much like ground flax.  Aztecs used this little miracle food as an energy source, hence its nickname "runner's food".  It has a neutral taste, is high in fiber and protein, rich in omega-3's (more so than salmon!), and has more antioxidants than blueberries-where has this been all my life?!!!  I started throwing a couple tablespoons into my own, as well as my son's, smoothie each day for a very healthful kick-neither of us noticed the new addition!  They're loaded with calcium and iron too-you really can't go wrong!  Some ways to add chia to your life is to sprinkle it in any food you desire, smoothies, and soups being more easily disguisable; but also on salads, meats, casseroles, and beverages.

Had to share this alternative with you health nuts-Stay Chic, Stay Healthy;)

No comments:

Post a Comment