Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Snack Attack

Be honest-did you think of Zack Attack upon reading that title???  Fine, don't admit your longing for "Saved By the Bell" days (their band was awesome, but a little creepy with those dubbed in grown-up voices).  ANYWAY, talk about side notes!  Ok, this blog is about one of my favorite things on Earth, and happens to be my favorite word my 15-month-old son says these days: "SNACK"! (or "nack-sssss":)

Most of us have a love-hate relationship with snacks, and I bet we all view snacks in much, much different ways.  Those of you that are extremely diligent about your health may relate to those darn 0% body fat celebs who eat a handful of nuts and a few celery sticks as their snack (and gloat about it in Us Weekly-thanks a bunch).  Or, those of you that have a hard time with will-power may view snacks as the DEVIL himself-now pass those chips, please!

I like to think of myself as a middle-of-the road gal when it comes to snacks.  Do I care about my health?  Tremendously.  Do I have will-power?  Heck no!  I've stated before that this is why I can't keep unhealthful snacks in the house, and even if I buy some for company, it better be gone when they leave or I'll make sure it is in my belly within the next 24 hours just to clear it out of the house!  Completely ridiculous, I know, but it's the awful truth!

Luckily, with more healthful eating comes less cravings, so that definitely works in my favor.  I usually only crave any carbs after eating carbs-so the key for me is to stay away from the "snacky stuff", but this in no way means that you can't have snacks.  I believe that snacks are crucial for staying on a healthful track.  In fact, with my blood sugar scares, I ate more snacks than actual meals to keep it under control-it's the healthiest way to eat:  small meals to me are just like snacking, you just need to make the right choices.  Snacks keep your energy up, help pre and post-workout, and keeps that metabolism high!

Here are some snack ideas I've gained from YOU, my own experience, and research!  These ideas are healthful and wholesome-some you can eat at home, some you can take on the go.  I'm not going to tell you to grab a South Beach cookie because it's processed and not healthful in the least (I don't think anything like those are amazing finds, I think they're actually awful for us)-keep health in mind, not just calories.  Sound off with more ideas and enjoy!

  • Smoothies (the sky's the limit-add protein for a fuller meal)
  • Plain Greek Yogurt, as mentioned here (add fruit or throw it in your smoothie; recently suggested was adding cold steamed apples, stevia, cinnamon-yum!)
  • Low Glycemic Fruit (cherries, plums, grapefruit, peaches)
  • Bananas (more carbs, but also more protein and more satisfying after a workout)
  • Hard-boiled Eggs
  • Apples with Peanut Butter 
  • Celery and Cream Cheese
  • Sweet Potato Chips (in moderation if needing that crunchy goodness)
  • Kale Chips
  • Nibble of Dark Chocolate
  • Nuts (or better yet make a trail mix with a few dark chocolate pieces)
  • Carrots & Ranch 
  • Applesauce
  • Cheese (hold the crackers;)
  • Baby Puffs (organic greens variety are the best!)
  • Baby Fruit/Veggie Pouches
  • Cucumber, Tomato, Mozz, Basil Salad (add some olive oil and balsamic)
  • Spelt Bread (for you runners)
  • Cup of Bone Broth-with or without the chicken & veggies

I love to pair any of the above with sparkling water-hydrating AND tricks your tummy into feeling full!  Stay Chic, Stay Healthy;)

No comments:

Post a Comment