Tuesday, March 27, 2012

You Glow, Girl!

Ha like the title??  After this post, you'll have the opp to be as smooth as a freshly lasered Kardash, glow like J Lo, smile like Brit, and smell divine with a fresh mani to boot!  The best part??  I've found HEALTHY and inexpensive options for us to get that summer glow on as we're forced to wear less and less clothing while the heat increases!  I've listed products pictured below, in order from the safest to least safe products according to the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, with nothing above a 4, and a few that aren't listed but seem to be great options.  Happy Glowing!


  • Crystal Essence Mineral Deodorant Roll-on in Pomegranate~ In my first skin and products post, I complained about natural deodorants doing the OPPOSITE of working, and asked for some input.  A follower suggested something similar to this one, but it wasn't until I tried this specific version (a free 'sample' in full size from drugstore.com!) that I found (near) success. It's not made with the typical Aluminum Chlorohydrate that has been linked to breast cancer and absorbs through the skin (particularly when pores are open after showers and shaving), but it's also not just throwing some oils on your pits and praying it sticks after a good sweat-give me a break!  Those versions are just ineffective and icky in my opinion.  This is made with the natural mineral salts, Potassium Alum, a similar ingredient to aluminum but the difference is key-it does NOT absorb into your skin the same way because of its larger molecular structure.  Of course for certain events you may want to grab your Secret if you feel you'll be sweating away for whatever reason, but for the Summer season where you'll be in and out of water and more casual, I'd suggest this for daily frolicking-can't go wrong with a ZERO green safety rating in the database either!!  Give it a try for $5;)
  • Aubrey Organics NuStyle Organic Hair Smoothing Serum~ Rated a 1 in the database, I just love this USDA Organic product.  It's not your typical "straightener" that often contains damaging alcohol, preservatives, etc; but it's a nourishing serum with oils and proteins to throw on your dry tresses in a variety of ways.  You can deep condition before a shower by applying it to dry or dampened hair before washing out, use it AFTER a shower and leaving it in if you're going to bed or leaving your hair wet, or, my fave use:  applying it and letting the sun do all the work of heating and strengthening your hair while protecting it from the sun simultaneously!  You know you're going to shower after a beach or pool day anyway-why not throw in some oils that'll do wonders in salt and chlorine as well??  Apply to hair after swimming and throw it in a braid!  A little pricier of products, but a little goes a long way, and I found it while on a monthly sale at the health store.
  • Dr. Bronner's Magic "All-One" Organic Fair Trade Shaving Soap Gel~ What a mouthful for such a simple product!  I love all of Dr. Bronner's products, but this one will keep you smooth all summer long:) A 1 in the database, it's USDA Organic and made with the simplest of ingredients-all super yummy.  I love the Lavender version, and it's a thin gel that protects your skin beautifully while shaving.
  • Eco-Dent ExtraBrite Dazzling Mint Tooth Whitener without Fluoride~ I found a safe tooth whitener!!!!!  I was pretty bummed I'd never dare stick Crest Whitening Strips on my teeth again after becoming more and more health conscious because of the daily foods and beverages that tend to stain, but I found this product at the health store and did my research-looking good as a 2 in the database and made with natural ingredients.  Even fluoride is questioned in the health world these days, so it was nice to see baking soda being one of the main ingredients instead-you can replace your toothpaste while you use it!  I haven't done extensive research on each and every ingredient in this, and because of this fact, I wouldn't use it while pregnant or breastfeeding.  I found this for about $8 in the health store and online (always try drugstore.com or amazon).
  • Physicians Formula Organic Wear Natural Glow Bronzer~ Love this powder bronzer (one of my MUST product haves in all seasons)... on the inexpensive side, rated a 3 in the database, no harsh chemicals/synthetic preservatives/parabens/synthetic fragrance or colors/GMO's and is cruelty-free!  Most powder bronzers, whether it's a $3 Wet n Wild or a $35 Lancome variety, WILL have items you do not want on your skin all day-I don't care how fancy the packaging is.  Love this because you can purchase conveniently at CVS and Walmart type places:)  Try their mascaras too-LOVE!
  • Physicians Formula Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer~ Same as above goes for this little gem... if you want light coverage but spf 15 protection for being in and out of the sun (you'll need higher for a full on outdoor summer day), you want this!  Not super moisturizing, but enough for humid days, it's also rated a 3, and made of 80% organic ingredients-including the active sunblock being Titanium Dioxide, which is recommended-check out my safe sunscreen post!
  • Nature's Gate Glow Lotion~  This is rated a moderate 4 in the database, but when it comes to a self-tanning lotion (the gradual and subtle kind), you're not going to do much better!  About $12 in the health store, I was excited to give it a try, and so far I'm loving it!  Since I am just building a base tan now, I went with the light skin tone version-very subtle and moisturizing.  It's paraben/synthetic fragrance/mineral oil/petrolatum-free, and you get a large bottle at a reasonable price.  It was also a winner in Allure's Best of Beauty awards!  Again, this is a product I wouldn't use during pregnancy or breastfeeding-just in case:)
  • Mineral Fusion Sheer Tint~ Not rated in the database, but can be found at drugstore.com and some health stores, this foundation is light and sheer-PERFECT for summer nights (or fun days, as it does contain some Titanium Dioxide to filter the rays as well)!  It leaves a dewy bronze finish to your skin, and while a little pricier (I've seen between $20 and $30), you need a very small amount for application.  The lightest color I've found is neutral, and even that is a little on the tan side, but blending some bronzing powder over it helps a lot-just remember your chest and neck too!  
  • No Miss Nail Polish~ Another one not rated, and still has that slight "nail polish smell" (not nearly as bad as conventional polishes), but is MUCH more user-friendly than the water-based nail polishes (which are definitely safest, but really difficult to apply evenly and remove), and is above and beyond conventional nail polishes in the health department as it does NOT contain cancer-causing formaldehyde, brain damaging toluene, or camphor (linked to birth defects and emphysema), and is still moisturizing, non-yellowing, and chip-resistant.  I'm loving it, and for $8 per bottle think of how much you'll save on manis-especially during the summer months when chipping is way too easy... I'm enjoying the fun summer pale yellow color:  'Riviera Beach Banana'!  Pair it with No Miss or Tate's polish remover-amazingly odorless and actually MORE efficient than conventional removers, which are just awful for us-just smell them!! 
  • Acure Radical Age Reversal Treatment~ Made with anti-aging Chlorella Growth Factor and the amazing Argan Oil (all the rave among celebs these days-just make sure you're using an organic variety for hair or skin), I couldn't find this in the database (although I did find body lotions by this line rated a green 1), but this luxury line looks amazing, as I recently discovered it at the health store.  You have many options from serums to moisturizers, but this seemed like the best of both worlds-hence it being a little pricer (around $30).  You'll see why due to the richness to hydrate-plan on using it as a night cream to reverse that daily sun damage!  The ingredients alone sold me.

OK, enough suggestions??!  As you can see, I get SUPER excited about products... Have fun, share your summer product loves, and get glowing!!  Stay Chic, Stay Healthy;)


2 comments:

  1. I'm committed to trying out these products (and having fewer of them in my bathroom/kitchen). Have you used raw, organic coconut oil? I just started using for cooking and as a face and body lotion. My hope is to eliminate most of the products in my bathroom once they run out. My ultimate goal is less plastic in our house, fewer chemicals in my food and personal care products, and less waste for the environment. Thanks for writing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you for reading it! I do love using coconut oil, however I don't remember to as much as I wish I did... good reminder:) It's great for the skin and hair, even my son's. I do use it in cooking at least weekly-you can even throw a spoonful in a morning smoothie! I agree with your goals regarding the chemicals and being eco-friendly; we try!

    ReplyDelete